Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 7th, 2011 Class - EDUC 504

What has been going on during break to utilize the tools we learned about in the EDUC 504 Summer class?

3 Edubloggers I have been following:


Grade 7 Math Blogorama at Sargent Park - I was looking for ideas that fit my student teacher placement for the next year.  I have been placed in a 7th grade mathematics class.  "This is the home of Sargent Park's grade 7 math course. Four classes, 7-42, 7-43, 7-44 and 7-72 will be using this website as a forum to discuss math problems, help their fellow students and enrich their learning experience. Content is to be kept to math related subjects, yet students should feel free to ask questions and let their voices be heard."  There are a few contributors that answer questions that the students and teachers ask, such as "This fellow teacher is thinking of implementing a blog with her middle year students next year and was wondering how I dealt with students copying one another's work."  The more I read, the more I realize I can put blogging into action with even the 7th graders.

Math Videos On Line - This web site was set up just for me!  It is a blog that collects math videos for students to watch.  It is a place where the videos are archived according to which math subject you are looking for supplemental videos.  There are also many helpful links with problems that people put up for you to use, and helpful comments on the problems to help develop a critical eye on what is a good and bad problem.  There are daily word problems, lesson plans, math games and more.  Much more time can be spent exploring here!  I was also playing around with iGoogle and so that I could view the updated videos without going directly to the blog page.  This is a new exploration for me.

Mathematics Learning... Sharing Strategies - The most recent entry that I read about was a creative way to get your math students to review important terms they learned in the last section.  This was done by creating a word puzzle.  See below for the information from the website.  It gives you a place to go online that is free to generate the word puzzles:

After completing a chapter, we can give word search puzzles to students for recapitulating the important terms related to the chapter. You may use a free online tool  http://www.armoredpenguin.com/wordsearch/ for creating them . You may save the puzzle in various available formats. I have taken it as an image as shown below. This is a word search puzzle on geometry related terms. The words are placed in forward/backward and upward/downward directions. Find as many words as you can. The solution to the puzzle is given below.



Solution

 
Where I have been doing a test run of a wiki page:

As you know from my talking about it so much in class, I am a high school coach.  I decided to put into action  a wiki page for my teammates.  There is a separate page for each player that has video clips for them to study on their skills.  It also has all of the teams game statistics posted.  They love seeing where they are to have healthy competition and beat out teammates for statistics.  There is also a page with archived information from past teams.  There is a list of the top five records for many of the different stats that we take.  The players can see what their current stats are, and it gives them a vision of how many more they will need to break into the records for the school!  There are also motivational quotes about related topics such as what it means to be a teammate.  This wiki page is pretty new, and will be a work in progress, but most of my team has already been on there and they are starting to be their own teachers out side of practice time. 

Hope everyone is enjoying your summer!  See you in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment